Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Book Review :: Riley Mae and the Rock Shocker Trek by Jill Osborne

Riley Mae and the Rock Shocker Trek is the first book in The Good News Shoes series (Faithgirlz!) by Jill Osborne.

Riley Mae and the Rock Shocker Trek was an entertaining story about a young girl who is chosen to be a spokeperson for a line of athletic shoes for girls. Although the idea of an "unknown" girl being chosen to have an entire line of shoes named after her is unlikely, the rest of the story was very relatable. The story is easy to read - 238 pages divided up into 52 short chapters.

I wasn't expecting to be entertained by this book - I was more excited to get it for my 10 year old daughter (her review of the book is below) - but I enjoyed it and thought it was a great book. I really liked how the author shows Riley Mae (the main character) thinking through her decisions and keeping her focus on God and what he would want. I think the internal dialogue will be beneficial for the girls who are reading the book - knowing that they aren't alone in struggling to choose what is good (when they may wish they could just lie or do something to avoid the situation instead). About mid-way through the book, a bit of mystery comes into play, which made the story a bit more exciting. (I'm not going to give away the ending - I'll leave that to you to find out!)

If you get this book, you will likely want to get the next book in the series, Riley Mae and the Ready Eddy Rapids...when I finished the book I was ready to read on and find out what happens next for Riley Mae.

And now...a review from my 10 year old daughter: "I really liked Riley Mae and the Rock Shocker Trek because it had mysteries and it was fun to read. I want to read the other books, too. I think it's a really good book. I think maybe 8-13 year olds would like it. Girls would probably like it more than boys. I liked the end of the book a lot more than the beginning."
FTC Declaration: The publisher has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book or advanced reading copy through the BookLook Bloggers book review bloggers program. This does not change the fact that I will give my honest opinion in my reviews.

No comments: