Friday, August 29, 2014

Book Review :: Riley Mae and the Sole Fire Safari by Jill Osborne

Riley Mae and the Sole Fire Safari is the third book in The Good News Shoes series (Faithgirlz!) by Jill Osborne. Riley Mae and the Swiftriver crew are back again - and this time they are headed off to Africa!

See my reviews for the first two books here:
As this is the third book in the series, I would recommend reading Riley Mae and the Rock Shocker Trek and Riley Mae and the Ready Eddy Rapids before reading Riley Mae and the Sole Fire Safari so that you are able to easily follow along with the plot, but even without doing so the author does provide some short explanations for many of the points that might be confusing to someone who had only started with this book.

I have been looking forward to reading Riley Mae and the Sole Fire Safari since I finished the first two books a few months ago - but I had to try and hide it from my 10 year old daughter so she wouldn't read it before I could read and review it. :o)

Riley Mae and the Sole Fire Safari follows Riley Mae and the Swiftriver crew and their experiences in Africa. Riley Mae turns 13 in this book, and along with that is a little more talk about boys/relationships than I remember in the previous books, but it was not overwhelming. I appreciated that in this book, Riley Mae is looking toward her calling in life - in my opinion it could be a great spark to get readers thinking about what God may call them to do with their life. There are also topics in this book that get readers to think about what is affecting others in the world (such as education, safety, and clean water issues) - I was glad to see the author include these subjects. Even though the topics in Riley Mae and the Sole Fire Safari are a bit deeper than the previous books, there is no lack of fun and adventure. 

I've enjoyed the previous Riley Mae books and Riley Mae and the Sole Fire Safari is no different. My 10 year old daughter enjoys them all, too. I recommend them all.

And here is what my daughter had to say: "Do you know when the next one comes out? I hope there is going to be another one! I really liked it. I think I like Riley Mae and the Sole Fire Safari better than the other books. I think it's really cool that Riley Mae gets to go to Africa. I like how it kind of teaches you about Africa. I think other kids will like to read it, too." 
FTC Declaration: The publisher has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book or advanced reading copy through the BookLook Bloggers book review bloggers program. This does not change the fact that I will give my honest opinion in my reviews.

No comments: