Friday, September 26, 2014

Book Review :: The River by Beverly Lewis

The River is the newest book from popular Amish fiction writer Beverly Lewis. I have enjoyed many of Beverly Lewis' novels in the past, and The River is no different. 
If you have read other Beverly Lewis stand-alone novels, you tend to see a typical storyline running through her novels - an individual(s) in an Amish community coming-of-age and/or coming face-to-face with a life altering situation/decision. The River, however, doesn't necessarily follow the standard format, which I appreciated. 

In The River, we are first introduced to two sisters who left the Amish community and are now comfortably living life among the English. The sisters, Tilly & Ruth, are invited home for their parents' anniversary celebration...and in coming home they are brought face-to-face with their past.

I don't want to go any further into the story (no spoilers here!), but I will say that The River has a great flow and a few twists and turns...just like...a river.

The only thing I wasn't sure about with this book was the cover photo. After reading the book, I am not sure the cover image fits well, but was probably used more to be an instant sign that this is an Amish fiction novel. 

If you enjoy Amish fiction and/or Beverly Lewis' novels, I encourage you to pick up a copy of The River.
FTC Declaration: The publisher has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book or advanced reading copy through a book review bloggers program. This does not change the fact that I will give my honest opinion in my reviews.

No comments: