Friday, November 3, 2017

Book Review :: Tora Fright Patches Things Up (A Story About Forgiveness)

Tora Fright Patches Things Up is a story about forgiveness from the Prayer Monsters line of books. 
Being that this book is part of a line of books, it does start out with some backstory on the characters that is a bit dry, in my opinion. A couple pages in, we get to the start of the story where Tora brings her prize-winning armadillo home from the art festival. The youngest in the Fright family, Booyah, is causing a bit of chaos in all of the older siblings' activities and ends up breaking Tora's armadillo. Tora is angry, but ends up forgiving Booyah and they then work together to repair the broken armadillo. 

What I enjoyed about Tora Fright Patches Things Up was that Tora not only felt sorry for getting angry with Booyah, but she then prayed about it and apologizes for her actions. The process of forgiveness is a difficult one and I thought it was addressed well. The prayer that Tora prays is short and written in rhyme (the rest of the book is not) and would be great for children to memorize and pray on their own.

That being said, this is not my favorite book out there. The story feels a little drawn out and dry to me. My 3 year old does enjoy this book and there are a lot of positive aspects of Tora Fright Patches Things Up, and for those reasons alone this book is worth owning. 
FTC Declaration: Tyndale House Publishers has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book or advanced reading copy through their book review bloggers program. This does not change the fact that I will give my honest opinion in my reviews.

No comments: