Friday, February 26, 2016

Distressed Foil Embellished Onesies {The Twinery}

Today I've got a fun project to share with you...distressed foil embellished onesies!
Foil is so popular right now, and I love the fact that it can be applied to fabric. I wanted to create a fun gift for two of my newest nieces, and I thought decorated onesies would be perfect. My sisters-in-law like vintage and/or shabby chic styles, so distressing on the hearts was the perfect look.
This may look like a difficult and time-consuming project, but it really wasn't. In fact, it went something like this:

Step One: Punch shapes from Hot Melt Adhesive.
*Step Two: Feed the kids.
Step Three: Iron Hot Melt Adhesive punched shapes onto onesies.
*Step Four: Change a diaper.
Step Five: Iron Deco Foil onto onesies.
*Step Six: Put baby down for nap.
Step Seven: Peel back  to reveal finished design.
*Step Eight: Think to yourself, "Wait...you're not finished. These are cute. You should make one for your own baby."
*Step Nine: Repeat steps one through seven.

*Some steps may not apply to all crafters. Feel free to insert a chocolate break instead.
To get that fun, distressed look, I simply set the iron to a higher temperature than was recommended on the package when ironing on the foil. (It will dull some of the high shine of the foil and alter the amount of adhesion, so you will only want to do this if you are wanting the distressed look.)
After I created the onesies for my nieces, I went back and made another onesie, this time choosing a star embellishment for a "little sheriff" look.  

And, of course, no gift is complete without being tied up with The Twinery's fabulous twine! I chose Solid Lilac and Solid Peapod for the heart onesies, and Copper Shimmer twine for the star onesie.

If you are looking to do a distressed foil look on paper, that is possible, too. Simply place parchment paper over the foiled image (after you've peeled the transfer sheet off), and use firm pressure with an iron, being sure to move it back and forth. This will wrinkle and dull the foil - a perfect distressed look!

Before you go...I don't mean to alarm you, but it's come to my attention that some people are using irons for things other than craft projects. I just felt the need to spread the word incase you come in contact with one of these people. They are out there.

Thanks for stopping by!
Supplies: 
Transfer Foil: Therm O Web (Deco Foil - various colors);
Twine: The Twinery (Solid Peapod, Solid Lilac, Copper Shimmer); 
 Tools: Fiskars (Squeeze Punches, Scissors);

No comments: