Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Book Review :: Time for Bed, Sleepyhead: The Falling Asleep Book by Daniel G. Amen, M. D., illustrations by Gail Yerrill

Time for Bed, Sleepyhead is a book that, per the author, is a "sophisticated psychological visualization game" to help kids get to sleep.
Time for Bed, Sleepyhead is written as if Momma Bear is telling a story to Little Bear, but when you get into the story portion of the book it will sound like you are talking to your child. The short version of the story is that some animals go to the beach, play, come home, and take a bath and get ready for bed.

Put very basically, the author has created an overly detailed, drawn out story...and I can't decide if it is a brilliant sleepytime story or just incredibly boring. I tried a few times to read this to my one and a half year old (who loves books) and he closed it on me several times and tried to reach for other books. (And I can't say I blamed him.) Even though I found it drawn out and boring, I did end up getting tired while reading it, so I guess maybe it works? There are "[yawn here]" cues in the text (so you insert forced yawns), but I did find myself yawning at other times, too.

My favorite part of Time for Bed, Sleepyhead is the adorable illustrations by Gail Yerrill. They are done in soft colors and feature cuddly creatures.

Overall, we will enjoy looking at Time for Bed, Sleepyhead, but I am not sure how often we will be reading it.
FTC Declaration: The publisher has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book or advanced reading copy. This does not change the fact that I will give my honest opinion in my reviews.

No comments: