Friday, June 21, 2013

Book Review :: These Are The Days Of Elijah by R. T. Kendall

I was intrigued to read These Are The Days Of Elijah by R. T. Kendall - the idea of God using "ordinary people to do extraordinary things" (and the beautiful cover) caught my eye.

I'm just going to get it out there now - that's where the excitement ended for me.

Once I started reading the book, I realized that this is basically just a collection of expository sermons on the passages in 1 and 2 Kings that have to do with Elijah. Although that in itself is not a bad thing, it was just not what I was expecting/hoping for.

I found it pretty dry with very little new insight into the life of Elijah. When there was new information, it seemed to always be stated like it was a fact and with no back story for how the author came to that conclusion. I found that interesting in light of the fact that the author states in the book: "When I preach or write I need to know it is God's Word I am teaching - not my silly point of view - and that the purity of His Word is at stake." (p. 99) The last few chapters were the most interesting to me - but I almost didn't make it to them.

Overall I felt like the book didn't live up to what I was expecting, but if you are looking for a review of the life of Elijah this may be just what you are looking for.


FTC Declaration: The publisher has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book or advanced reading copy through Chosen Books. This does not change the fact that I will give my honest opinion in my reviews.

No comments: