Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Book Reviews :: The Plans I Have For You Devotional and The Plans I Have For You Journal by Amy Parker, illustrated by Vanessa Brantley-Newton

The Plans I Have For You Devotional and The Plans I Have For You Journal are two books from the author and illustrator of The Plans I Have For You. The books are all written by Amy Parker and illustrated by Vanessa Brantley-Newton.
(If you want to see my review of the original book, The Plans I Have For You, you can find it here.)


The Plans I Have For You Devotional is a hardcover book with full-color, coated pages. It is divided into 6 "sectors" with 15 devotions in each sector (for a total of 90 devotions). 
In the devotional, there are some illustrations and wording from the original book, but there is plenty of variety to warrant owning both.

There is some overlap between the devotional and the journal - making them great as companion pieces. There is enough variety between that devotional and the journal that owning both would be good.

One of the ways this devotional is different from others I have seen is that there is a large variation in the length of the individual devotions. Some devotions are extremely short (as short as just 4 lines of text) and some are longer (up to 6 paragraphs). Many of the devotions are 1 to 3 paragraphs long.

The Plans I Have For You Devotional is unique and there is variety in the styles of the devotions, making it interesting for the reader.


The Plans I Have For You Journal is a paperback book with grayscale paper pages. It is divided into 6 "sectors".
This is not just a typical lined journal. The pages are illustrated (grayscale) and have a variety of verses and prompts. (And it's not all writing. There are places for drawing, too.)

Generally there is a two page spread featuring a verse and one or more related journaling prompts. It encourages reflection, writing, and doodling. The prompts are good and thought-provoking. There is a good amount of space to write without feeling overwhelming - good probably for ages 8-12 (maybe even up to 14). There are some illustrations and wording from the original book, but there is plenty of variety to warrant owning both.

Again, there is some overlap between the devotional and the journal - making them great as companion pieces. There is enough variety between that devotional and the journal that owning both would be good.

The Plans I Have For You Journal is unique and there is variety in the styles of the journaling pages, making it fun for the user.
FTC Declaration: The publisher has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book or advanced reading copy. This does not change the fact that I will give my honest opinion in my reviews.

No comments: