Friday, March 21, 2014

Recipe :: Garlic Rosemary Buttered Skillet Rolls

I came across The Pioneer Woman's Buttered Rosemary Rolls and was excited to give them a shot...but I'm not one to have frozen rolls on hand (or fresh rosemary), so I made adjustments for what I had - and came up with these:
Ingredients for the dough:
1 1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. oil
4 c. flour (I used a mixture - 3 c. unbleached All Purpose and 1 c. White Whole Wheat)
1/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. ground flaxseed
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tbsp. yeast
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. dried rosemary leaves, crushed

For brushing on top:
1 stick butter, melted
Sea salt

(I make my bread/roll dough in my bread machine. I rarely ever bake the actual bread in it - I just love forming it and baking it in the oven...it feels more homemade or something.)

Directions:
Place all ingredients in a bread machine according to manufacturer instructions. (Mine is: liquids first, flour, then remaining ingredients.) Run the dough cycle.
Tip: If you want to make this without a bread machine, just use the traditional method to replace it - mix all ingredients together and knead, then let rise for an hour.

When the dough cycle is finished, take the dough out and form it into balls. (I think mine are probably about 2" in diameter.) I use a method for shaping the rolls that my mother-in-law taught me - you basically make a circle with your thumb and first finger, then push the dough through it and squeeze your fingers together to pinch it off.
I used a Lodge 12" Skillet for my rolls.
Side note: I use my skillets for all kinds of cooking - stove top and oven. I love using them!
I placed 14 rolls in the generously oiled large skillet and set those aside (covered with a towel) to rise for 30 minutes.

After they had time to rise, I brushed some melted butter over the top of the rolls and sprinkled them with a little bit of sea salt. (I used the small granules - like regular table salt - because I am not one that enjoys a big crunch of salt.) I then baked them in a 350 degree (preheated) oven for 25-30 minutes.

When I got them out of the oven, I brushed them with the remaining butter and they were ready to be served.
And they were SO tasty!
Please - give them a try and let me know what you think!

No comments: