Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Book Review :: Get To Know Jesus, Apostle Paul, Mary, and King David (4 books) by Nancy I. Sanders

The "Get To Know" books by Nancy Sanders are fantastic books for kids who are wanting to learn more about the "heroes" of the Bible. 

The first four books in this series are:

Each book gives background information about the person (Jesus, Paul, Mary, and David) and includes a lot of bonus material to really get to know the person and what their life would have been like. There are full-color illustrations, maps, photographs of land/artifacts, and more. 

As biographies, these books follow the person from birth and/or childhood, through their life, death, and even what that means for their "future". If there are not specific instances from their personal history to reference, the author gives an idea of what it was probably like due to the cultural traditions and/or standards of the time. 

Each book has a variety of additional features to help further the study - scripture references, additional "Did You Know?" facts, biblical and extra-biblical eyewitness accounts, and definitions for words that may be new for kids. (The definitions are listed at the bottom of the page where the word is found and also in a glossary at the back of the book.)
Although the writing feels a bit choppy to me, the sentences are short and easily digestible - which will be great for kids. I appreciate simplicity - but even for me the writing can feel a little dumbed down at times. I am guessing this is just to make sure it is very easily understandable for kids, but there were a couple instances where I think it may have worded things a little too simply.  

All in all, I think these are great resources to have on hand for your kids to learn more about the "heroes" of the Bible. 
FTC Declaration: The publisher has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book or advanced reading copy. This does not change the fact that I will give my honest opinion in my reviews.

No comments: