Friday, September 5, 2014

Book Review :: What Your Heart Needs for the Hard Days by Holley Gerth

What Your Heart Needs for the Hard Days is a 52-part devotional by author Holley Gerth. (On the back cover, this is recommended as a companion to Holley's book, You're Going to Be Okay, which I have not read.) 

Each entry in What Your Heart Needs for the Hard Days is inspired by a portion from the Psalms. The verse(s) are followed up with a short story/analogy to help illustrate the point. Each of the 52 devotionals closes out with the start of a prayer (and lines for you to write in your words to finish it) and another lined section to write down the response that you feel is being given to you. As seems to be true with any devotional-style book, some entries may hit you more than others, depending on your stage/place in life. Even so, I feel like everyone can appreciate each devotional. 

What Your Heart Needs for the Hard Days is a relatively compact book (6.1 x 4.3 x 1 inches), and it would be easy to toss in a purse to take with you if you are on-the-go. I feel like the compact size is great for travel, but personally I prefer to have a larger surface area if I am going to be writing in a book. It is just more comfortable to write on a larger surface, in my opinion. 

If you are looking for a devotional to help encourage you through the hard days (or even the easy ones), I'd suggest considering this What Your Heart Needs for the Hard Days
FTC Declaration: The publisher has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book or advanced reading copy through a book review bloggers program. This does not change the fact that I will give my honest opinion in my reviews.

No comments: