Friday, May 20, 2016

Multi Strand Spine Bookmarks {The Twinery}

If you've been around my blog lately, you know that one of my favorite "crafts" is Bible art/journaling. It seems like at any given time there are a couple of particular passages that are in the queue for future pages to be done, and this is a pretty way to mark those places. 
These bookmarks are particularly useful for a large book like the Bible, but they can work for any book. 
And even better...they aren't just regular bookmarks - they can tuck right into the spine of any hardcover or case bound book. 
They were simple to make, too:
1. To start, I cut a strip of paper just a bit more narrow than my Bible's spine. (I used patterned paper for mine so that they will look good as regular bookmarks, too.)
2. I wanted to add a little sturdiness to these, so I did my very sophisticated laminating technique (aka - adhere clear packing tape to both sides and trim). This will not only help protect the paper piece, but will act as reinforcement for the punched holes.
3. Next, I punched a few holes near the top of the bookmark to give me a place to thread my twine.
4. Then, I threaded the holes with twine and and finished them off by a combination of braiding and/or knotting. You can choose any method for this that strikes your fancy. You can even add beads and/or buttons to the ends to give them some weight. 
(Photography fail - I meant to show the steps in order for making a bookmark, but you'll just have to tell your eyes to go right to left.)

If you want to tuck these into the spine of your book, it is probably easiest if you lay your book out open and flat and slide the paper portion into the spine. You can even insert two (or more) to get more place holders.
Once the bookmarks are inserted into the spine, just use the twine place holders as you would a ribbon bookmark that comes adhered to your Bible or hard cover book.
 Happy reading!
Supplies: 
Patterned Paper: Heidi Swapp (Favorite Things 12x12);
Twine: The Twinery (Solid Stone, Solid Caribbean, Solid Pink Sorbet, Solid Mandarin, Solid Honeydew);
Tools: Fiskars (Trimmer, Scissors); We R Memory Keepers (Crop-A-Dile);
Other: (Clear Packing Tape);
Bibles: Zondervan (NASB Note-taker's Bible); Zondervan (NIV Holy Bible, Journal Edition);

Find all my posts pertaining to Bible art or journaling here.

1 comment:

Chark said...

cool, thanks for sharing!