Friday, March 29, 2013

Book Review :: Organic Outreach For Families by Kevin G. Harney & Sherry Harney

Organic Outreach for Families: Turning Your Home into a Lighthouse by Kevin G. Harney & Sherry Harney

In Organic Outreach for Families, Kevin G. Harney and Sherry Harney give very practical advice on how to "share the love, grace, and message of Jesus" in a very natural, unforced way. (p. 11) I love the definition they give of what they call 'lighthouse homes': "They will be places where Jesus is King, where his love is present, and where the Holy Spirit is at work. ... It's a place where the glow of God's light is strong and people are drawn to the Savior." (p. 14)

The book is divided into three parts: Reaching Your Own Family, Raising Children of Light in a Dark World, and Turning Your Home into a Lighthouse. In addition to the helpful information within each of the chapters, each chapter concludes with three specific ideas to put into practice in your home.

If only for the first section alone, this book is definitely worth owning. It was truly helpful not only in thinking of practical ways to talk to our children about God, but there were also many points that will carry over into parenting in general. But it doesn't just stop after the first section. The following sections were also truly informative and practical. (Did I mention this book is practical?)

I had already recommended this book to many of my friends before I finished reading it, and now that I have finished it I will continue to recommend it. Buy it. Break out your highlighter and highlight. Use a pen and underline. Write notes in it. Keep it for handy and refer back to it.

FTC Declaration: The publisher has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book or advanced reading copy through BookSneeze®. This does not change the fact that I will give my honest opinion in my reviews.

No comments: