Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Book Binding with Twine - {The Twinery}

I'd like to share with you a project I created using The Twinery's twine for book binding.
{And if you'd like to see another way to bind with The Twinery's twine, be sure you've checked out this post.}


I wasn't sure when I started this book (and I am still not sure) what it will be used for, so I created pockets on the inside of the front and back cover and also added one cover-weight page in the middle with a pocket.
You can always find a use for pockets, right?

The size of the completed book is 8 1/2" x 5 1/2". {The covers and inner pages are all the same finished size.}

To create the pockets, I cut a sheet of double-sided patterned paper to 8 1/2" x 8 1/2", scored at 3" and folded up to create a pocket. I added washi tape to the edges to hold the pockets in place, but you can easily use traditional adhesive instead.



I stacked the pages and covers and carefully lined them up. I punched holes 1/2" in from the edge at 1/2", 1 5/8", 2 3/4", 3 7/8", and 5".
{I added a score mark 1/2" from the edge before punching the holes to make turning the covers a bit smoother.}


I took a long length of twine and threaded the holes as follows:
• Down #3
• Up #4
• Down #5
• Up over bottom edge
• Down #5
• Up #4
• Down #2 {Yes, we skipped #3 on purpose.}
• Up #1
• Down over top edge
• Up #1
• Down #2
• Up #3 {Here you have a piece of twine stretched between #2 and #4 - you should have each of the two loose ends on opposite sides of the stretched portion of twine. You can see what I mean in the photo below.}


{A little tip: add a touch of washi tape to the end of your twine - kind of like a shoelace - for easy threading.}


I bound the book with Honeydew twine, but added in a little touch of Pink Sorbet and Lemondrop for a great color pop in the bow!

I made sure the bow was very tight and then snipped the loops of the bow to create this look:

And here is a look at the finished product:



Thanks for stopping by today!

Supplies:
Patterned Paper: (Imaginary Friends) My Little Shoebox;
Twine: (Honeydew, Pink Sorbet, Lemondrop) The Twinery;
Other: Washi Tape;
Tools: (Trimmer, Scissors) Fiskars; (Scoring Board) Martha Stewart/EK Success; (Crop-A-Dile) We R Memory Keepers;

5 comments:

Glora said...

This is SO cool! I LOVE it! Hugs- Glora

Rachel said...

WOW, I love this! I'm thinking of getting a binding machine, but this is a great way to put together little books until then. Thanks for sharing. I'm definitely going to bookmark this entry.

Emily Leiphart said...

Super cute idea, Tifany! I love how you taped the ends with washi tape for easy threading.

Juliana said...

That is the CUTEST book binding I have seen!!!
I love how you used the twine--and the papers!!
SO FUN, Well done, and INSPIRING!!

Kathleen said...

I LOVE the way you used twine to bind this book. So cute!!!