The Faithgirlz Bible, NIV is the newest in the line of Faithgirlz Bibles and books from Zondervan. The cover of this Bible is unique - it has a hidden magnetic closure on a hardcover flap (the polka dotted portion you see in the cover image). The flap reveals a second owl when it is pulled back. The cover also has some pink foil accents (the polka dots, some flowers,some portions of the owls, and the word "Bible") that really shine.
The Faithgirlz Bible, NIV has all purple text (including the words of Christ) with various dark pink (almost red) accents (headings, chapter numbers, etc.), and is laid out in two columns. This is the NIV version of the Bible (© 1973, 1978, 1984, & 2011). The text is standard size - not large, but not extra small. It does contain some basic footnotes. There is not a presentation page like you might find in many Bibles, but there is a page at the front with plenty of room to add a note or a name if you choose to do so.
There is a brief, single-page introduction for each book of the Bible. Each introduction covers a few basic things about the book (some thoughts about the book, "Who wrote it", "When it was written", "Where it takes place", "Cool characters you'll meet", "Bad guys to watch for", "The point", and "How it connects"). There are also introductions/overviews of the Old Testament and the New Testament.
The Faithgirlz Bible, NIV has several specific features spread throughout the text.
- "Dream Girl" (helping you to imagine yourself in the events of the Scriptures)
- "Bring It On!" (a quiz-style feature leading you to verses to encourage you)
- "Oh, I Get It!" (a bit of commentary on some things that you might have questions about)
- "Treasure This!" (highlighted verses that would be great for memorization)
- "Is There a Little _____ in You?" (a look at some character traits that you might have in common with people in the Bible)
- "In Your Own Words" (a recap of events and a space to write a summary of events in your own words)
In addition to all the features throughout the text, there are some other features at the back of the Faithgirlz Bible, NIV.
- "How to Begin a Relationship with Jesus"
- "Through the Bible in a Year" (a checklist and reading plan for reading the entire Bible in 365 days)
- "Promises from the Bible" (some verses to look at that might be helpful in your current situation)
- "Perspectives from the Bible" (some verses to look at regarding specific topics)
- "My Notes" (journaling pages)
I'd say the Faithgirlz Bible, NIV is probably best for young girls - starting as early as age 6 (if they are reading) and up to the early teens. The only reason I might not suggest it for older teens is the styling may look a bit young, but the content is still great.
All in all, I think the Faithgirlz Bible, NIV is a fantastic choice for a Bible for a young girl in your life.FTC Declaration: The publisher has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book or advanced reading copy. This does not change the fact that I will give my honest opinion in my reviews.